Our Cricket Betting service has had a rollercoaster IPL for followers but we’ve positioned ourselves nicely with some futures plays that should ensure a profitable series. [Read more…] about Punting Stars Cricket Betting Update
Welcome to our weekly IPL betting review and suggested bets for tonight’s double header.
If you’d like to be placed on the FREE daily email list, DM us on Twitter @puntingstars with your email address or simply email [email protected]
SUBSCRIBER EMAIL: IPL Bets – April 22nd
In last week’s review (after match eight) we mused that only one game thus far had been won by the team batting first – and that outlier was itself a rain-shortened fixture.
We expected that pattern would be somewhat short lived judging by historical samples and now after 19 matches, the split of winners is seven setting the total and 12 chasing. That split is identical to the 2017 ratio at this stage of the competition.
We also posed the concept of the early toss bias having an impact on betting. But as the bias has slowly dissipated in the second week, it is a good time to look at which teams are most versatile and have tasted success setting and chasing totals.
A quick summary by team (in IPL table order) after 19 matches shows:
- Kings XI Punjab (5: 4-1) sits atop the table with four wins coming via an even split of two each batting and bowling first.
- Chennai Super Kings (4: 3-1) have scored two of their three wins via thrilling run chases. Their sole loss came when falling agonisingly short chasing 197 against KXIP. They mauled Rajasthan batting first on Friday.
- Kolkata Knight Riders (6: 3-3) have suffered three losses when defending 202, 138 and 191 (via D/L method – but they were thrashed). Their victory when batting first came against lowly Delhi.
- Sunrisers Hyderabad (4: 3-1) have bowled first every match – their sole loss came when unable to haul in KXIP’s 193.
- Royal Challengers Bangalore (5: 2-3) have secured both victories via batting second. But they’ve also suffered two defeats via this preferred method to sides ranked below them on the table, Rajasthan and Mumbai.
- Rajasthan Royals (5: 2-3) have comfortably bucked the trend. Both wins have been close and come via batting first against bottom – they’ve been thrashed on all other occasions.
- MI (4: 1-3) has incredibly batted first at all four outings, suffering three agonising defeats before a drought-breaking 46 run victory over RCB.
- DD (5: 1-4) looks a side with few answers, suffering four defeats from five – three by huge margins. Their only victory, batting second against Mumbai, came on the final ball of the chase.
So why is this relevant? Well as we discussed last week, we only want to look at H2H betting opportunities where we essentially believe the side is versatile enough to set or chase against the particular opponent.
While these are only small samples (4-6 matches each), we can draw a few key conclusions:
- Kings XI Punjab appears very versatile with Chennai Super Kings not far behind. No surprise they are one and two.
- Both Sunrisers Hyderabad and Mumbai Indians must be treated warily due to the nature of their samples. Of the two, Mumbai looks to have more upside, not having had the chance to chase a total yet.
- The nature of Kolkata Knight Riders’ three losses is a concern. They will be hard to assess H2H. Thankfully they play Delhi and RCB in their next two – they will likely be too short to back in both, so hopefully we can use those fixtures to learn more
- Rajasthan Royals have bucked the trend, but their inexperience has shown against the stronger teams.
- Royal Challengers Bangalore and Delhi Daredevils are both struggling. Don’t let last night’s RCB victory over DD, with AB de Villiers pummelling 90 from 39 balls, fool you.
We’ve applied these performances, plus our usual factors to tonight’s ratings, to come up with betting opportunities for both matches.
Sunrisers Hyderabad v Chennai Super Kings, 8:30pm 22/04//2018
Bet: Chennai Super Kings WIN – 1 unit @ $1.95+
The best price currently is with UBET @ $2.00
Rajasthan Royals v Mumbai Indians, 12:30am 23/04//2018
Bet: Mumbai Indians MOST SIXES – 1 unit @ $1.75+
The best price currently is with Bet365 @ $1.83
Bet: Mumbai Indians HIGHEST OPENING PARTNERSHIP: 1 unit @ $1.80+
The best price currently is with Crownbet @ $1.81
From 25.25u outlay:
– On recommended min price, -1.62 units
– On best available price, -0.80 units
WE’RE a week into IPL 2018 and it has been one of mixed results for subscribers to our FREE daily email service.
Each Saturday, we’ll post the weekly review and suggested bets for the night’s double header here on puntingstars.com.au shortly after it is emailed to our followers.
If you’d like to be placed on the FREE daily email list, DM us on Twitter @puntingstars with your email address or simply email [email protected]ntingstars.com.au.
EMAIL: IPL Bets – April 14th
As we approach the end of the first week of IPL 2018, a distinct pattern has emerged – in eight completed matches, seven have been won by the team batting second (88%).
The only match won by the side which batted first was heavily rain affected.
However, this toss bias appears disproportionate with historical IPL results. In 2017, 32/59 (54%) resulted matches were won by the chasing side, and in 2016 it was 39/60 (65%).
Interestingly, in the first 20 matches of 2017, 12 (60%) were won by the side batting second. In 2016, that figure was a whopping 17 of the first 20 (85%) fixtures.
So how does that translate to our betting in IPL 2018?
The key learning is in recent IPL history, tournaments have begun with a heavy toss bias towards the team batting second – perhaps as teams struggle to nail down their best death/defensive bowling combinations.
So far, we have lost FOUR head-to-head bets when backing a team which has subsequently batted first, then seen their total overhauled in the final over.
As the nature of this service is primarily a ‘set and forget’ approach, we’ll be adapting these trends to our ratings. This may result in fewer head-to-head recommendations.
Below are our bets for tonight’s double header – including one H2H bet we simply could not let slide. Good punting!
Mumbai Indians v Delhi Daredevils 8:30pm 14/04/2018
Bet: Mumbai Indians MOST MATCH SIXES – 1 unit @ $1.75+
The best price currently is with UBET at $1.83
Bet: Mumbai Indians OVER 7.5 TOTAL SIXES – 1 unit @ $1.85+
The best price currently is with TopSport at $1.90
Kolkata Knight Riders v Sunrisers Hyderabad 12:30am 15/04/2018
Bet: Sunrisers Hyderabad WIN – 1 unit @ $2.20+ (most books)
The best price currently is with Sportsbet at $2.22
From 12.5u outlay:
– On recommended min price, -2.55u
– On best available price, -2.16u
OUR highly successful BBL07 betting campaign finished on a high when the Adelaide Strikers, a mid-tournament all-in markets play, defeated the Hobart Hurricanes emphatically in Sunday’s final. [Read more…] about BBL07 Big Bash League T20: Final Betting Results
JUST four teams remain in contention for the 2017-18 Big Bash League title and importantly, followers of our Punting Stars suggested bets sit in a strong position with both semis and the final to come.
[Read more…] about BBL07 Big Bash League T20 Finals Series Bets
JUST six regular season fixtures remain in BBL07 and it is our pick to win the competition, the Melbourne Renegades, who will dictate the makeup of the top four this season.
[Read more…] about BBL07 Big Bash League T20 Week 6 Bets